CWO3 Kenneth Collins
Feb 27, 2023
Coast Guard Rugby will participate in the 2023 Women’s Armed Forces Sports (AFS) Rugby Sevens Championship in Wilmington, NC, from 15‐26 June.
SUBJ: INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE IN THE 2023 WOMENS ARMED FORCES RUGBY SEVENS CHAMPIONSHIP
A. Coast Guard Morale, Well‐Being, and Recreation Manual, COMDTINST M1710.13 (series)
1. Coast Guard Rugby will participate in the 2023 Women’s Armed Forces Sports (AFS) Rugby Sevens Championship in Wilmington, NC, from 15‐26 June.
2. Participation is open to all female active duty members and reservists on active duty orders. Members wishing to participate must attend training camp from 15‐18 June to compete for a roster position. After player evaluations, the coaching staff will select 12 athletes to continue training and preparations to represent the service in the 22‐26 June AFS Championship.
3. Coast Guard Rugby seeks athletes who wish to compete at the highest levels of rugby. Experience in the sport is preferred but optional. Members with elite athletic experience in collegiate or high school sports are encouraged to apply.
4. The team will represent the Coast Guard in competition against the other military services with potential follow‐on competition through national all‐star teams and select sides. Participation in this event may lead to further selection to the All‐Armed Forces team and international competition.
5. Per reference (A), commands are encouraged to support participation in the Armed Forces Sports program. Competing on an Armed Forces team brings credit to our service members and the United States military. Additionally, representing the service in front of thousands of spectators is a unique recruiting opportunity as players interact with fans from all over the country.
6. The Community Services Command (CSC) will fund members selected for a try‐out to represent the Coast Guard in the Armed Forces Rugby Sevens Championship.
7. Members interested in applying should email CGRugby@uscg.mil no later than 31 March. Team managers will respond to your email with the required information to submit your rugby application. If you have other questions or concerns, contact the Coast Guard Rugby Team Manager: LCDR Alexandra Mostrom; Alexandra.C.Mostrom@uscg.mil.
8. Command‐endorsed applications must be routed to the Coast Guard Sports Office by 21 April to allow time for player invitations and travel arrangements. Submit command concerns and applications to the AFS Service Rep: CWO3 Kenneth Collins; Kenneth.S.Collins@uscg.mil.
9. Released: CAPT R. E. Dash, Acting Commander, Personnel Service Center, sends
10. Internet release authorized.