CWO3 Kenneth Collins
Mar 23, 2021
The Coast Guard Rugby Team will participate in the 2021 Mens Armed Forces Sports (AFS) Rugby Sevens Championship in Glendale, CO, from 13-23 August 2021.
SUBJ: INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE IN THE 2021 MENS ARMED FORCES
RUGBY SEVENS CHAMPIONSHIP
A. Coast Guard Morale, Well-Being, and Recreation Manual,
1. Contingent on the COVID-19 pandemic, the Coast Guard Rugby Team
will participate in the 2021 Mens Armed Forces Sports (AFS) Rugby
Sevens Championship in Glendale, CO, from 13-23 August 2021.
In consultation with the other services, the Rugby tournament
remains on schedule for this year. Due to the planning required,
we are soliciting interest from CG athletes for potential
participation if the tournament does occur as scheduled.
2. Participation is open to all male active duty members and
reservists on active duty orders. Members wishing to participate
should plan to attend training camp on 13 August. The training
camp will conclude on 19 August, and 12 athletes will be selected
to represent the USCG.
3. The tournament commences 20-22 August. All members interested
in applying must email CGRugby@uscg.mil no later than 23 April to
receive an application. Command endorsed applications are due to the
Community Services Command (CSC) by 7 May. Team managers will
reply to your email with additional information for
4. Experience in the sport is preferred but not required. Members with
athletic experience at the elite levels of Collegiate or High School
sports are encouraged to apply. The CG Rugby program is seeking
athletes that wish to compete at the highest levels of rugby.
5. The team will represent the Coast Guard in competition against
the other military services with potential follow-on competition with
national all-star teams and select sides. Participation in this event
may lead to further selection to the All Armed Forces Rugby Team.
6. Per Reference (A), commands are encouraged to support
participation in the Armed Forces sports program. Participation on an
Armed Forces team brings credit to our service members and the
United States military.
7. CSC will fund members selected for a try out to represent the
Coast Guard in the Armed Forces Rugby Sevens Championship.
8. If you have questions or would like to request a team application,
email CGRugby@uscg.mil. You may also contact the CG Rugby
Team Director: LCDR Keith Wilkins; Keith.R.Wilkins@uscg.mil.
9. Submit command concerns and command endorsed applications to the
AFS Service Rep: CWO2 Kenneth Collins; Kenneth.S.Collins@uscg.mil.
10. Released: RDML S. N. Gilreath, Commander, Personnel
Service Center. The Service Center for our most
important resource - Our People.
11. Internet release authorized.