USAA is a Proud Sponsor of the USCG Day
CWO3 Kenneth Collins
May 4, 2021
The following information highlights the opportunity that Coast Guard members on active duty have to participate in the Armed Forces Sports (AFS) program.
SUBJ: 2021 ARMED FORCES SPORTS CALENDAR AND CG MEMBER PARTICIPATION
IN ARMED FORCES SPORTING EVENTS
A. CG Morale, Well-Being, and Recreational Manual, COMDTINST
1. The following information highlights the opportunity that Coast
Guard members on active duty have to participate in the Armed Forces
Sports (AFS) program with the potential opportunity to represent the
United States military through international sports competition.
2. In 2019, the Community Services Command (CSC) received 109
applications from CG athletes to compete in AFS. We had 69 athletes
invited to attend Navy or Armed Forces training camps, culminating
in 63 members selected for Navy or Armed Forces teams. AFS paused
in 2020 because of the pandemic.
3. AFS events are scheduled to resume in June 2021. The MWR website
contains the anticipated 2021 schedule. Due to increased planning
requirements, dates and locations are subject to change. The website
will provide the most current information.
4. The Navy trials/Armed Forces competitions are open to all CG
members on active duty. Applications are available through the
All-Navy website at https://www.navyfitness.org/all-navy-sports.
Qualified athletes may submit their command endorsed application
to the CG Sports Director. Applications sent directly to the Navy
will not be considered.
5. Commands are encouraged to support their active duty members
participation in the AFS program. Involvement with the Navy and all
Armed Forces teams brings credit to not only our service members but
the United States military as a whole. In recent years, both male and
female CG athletes have been integral members of Armed Forces teams
6. If a member is selected, CSC or Navy Sports provides the funding
for members to compete per Ref A. The expectation for selected
members is to be prepared to participate in higher-level competitions
that may follow.
7. Submit command concerns and command endorsed applications to the
CG Sports Director: CWO2 Kenneth Collins; Kenneth.S.Collins@uscg.mil.
8. CG members with a general injury or illness may continue their
athletic training and competition in sporting events. Interested
members should visit:
to learn about opportunities in the Warrior Games.
9. Released: RDML S. N. Gilreath, Commander, Personnel
Service Center. The Service Center for our most
important resource Our People.
10. Internet release authorized.