CWO3 Kenneth Collins
Mar 28, 2023
Coast Guard Rugby will participate in the 2023 Men’s Armed Forces Sports (AFS) Rugby Sevens Championship in Glendale, CO, from 17-28 August.
SUBJ: INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE IN THE 2023 MENS ARMED FORCES RUGBY SEVENS CHAMPIONSHIP
A. Coast Guard Morale, Well-Being, and Recreation Manual, COMDTINST M1710.13 (series)
1. Coast Guard Rugby will participate in the 2023 Men’s Armed Forces Sports (AFS) Rugby Sevens Championship in Glendale, CO, from 17-28 August.
2. Participation is open to all male active duty members and reservists on active duty orders. Members wishing to participate must attend training camp from 17-20 August to compete for a roster position. After player evaluations, the coaching staff will select 12 athletes to continue training and preparations to represent the service in the 24-28 August AFS Championship.
3. Coast Guard Rugby seeks athletes to compete at the highest levels of rugby. Members with elite athletic experience in collegiate or high school sports are encouraged to apply. Rugby experience is preferred, but not required.
4. The team will represent the Coast Guard in competition against the other military services with potential follow-on competition through national all-star teams and select sides. Participation in this event may lead to further selection to the All-Armed Forces team and international competition.
5. Per reference (A), commands are encouraged to support participation in the Armed Forces Sports program. Competing on an Armed Forces team brings credit to our service members and the United States military. Additionally, representing the service in front of thousands of spectators is a unique recruiting opportunity as players interact with fans from all over the country.
6. The Community Services Command (CSC) will fund members selected for a try-out to represent the Coast Guard in the Armed Forces Rugby Sevens Championship.
7. Members interested in applying should email CGRugby@uscg.mil no later than 31 May. Team managers will respond to your email with the required information to submit your rugby application. If you have other questions or concerns, contact the Coast Guard Rugby Team Manager: LT Vincent Nitopi; Vincent.J.Nitopi@uscg.mil.
8. Command-endorsed applications must be routed to the Coast Guard Sports Office by 23 June to allow time for player invitations and travel arrangements. Submit command concerns and applications to the AFS Service Rep: CWO3 Kenneth Collins; Kenneth.S.Collins@uscg.mil.
9. Released: RDML D. C. Barata, Commander, Personnel Service Center, sends.
10. Internet release authorized.