Oct 13, 2023
Two $2,000 scholarships will be awarded to the most outstanding applicants based upon academic achievement, accomplishments, interests, participation, and demonstrated leadership in both school‐oriented and community/volunteer activities.
SUBJ: COAST GUARD EXCHANGE SYSTEM (CGX) SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
A. Coast Guard Exchange System Scholarship Program, CSCINST 1780 (Series)
1. The Coast Guard Exchange System’s Scholarship program provides scholarships to students who are dependents of Coast Guard active duty, reserve, retired Coast Guard military members, current civilians (non‐appropriated or appropriated fund) and current Coast Guard auxiliarists who meet the eligibility requirements of Ref A.
A. Two $2,000 scholarships will be awarded to the most outstanding applicants based upon academic achievement, accomplishments, interests, participation, and demonstrated leadership in both school‐oriented and community/volunteer activities.
B. The scholarships are awarded on a one‐time basis.
2. The following eligibility requirements must be met:
A. The applicants must be in the last year of high school or homeschooling and scheduled to graduate and attend college full‐time during the fall semester. Those who have already graduated from high school are not eligible.
B. Students must plan to attend an accredited college or university for undergraduate studies. Scholarships will not be awarded for participation in non‐academic and/or certificate programs. Students accepting appointments to USAFA, USNA, USMA, USCGA, or USMMA are not eligible.
3. Interested students must complete the CGES Scholarship Program Application, Form CG 5687. Completed forms should be emailed to CGEScholarship@cgexchange.org or mailed to the CGX Scholarship Committee; Coast Guard Community Services Command; Battlefield Technology Center I; 510 Independence Parkway Suite 500; Chesapeake VA 23320‐5191. Forms may be obtained online at https://www.coastguardmwr.org/cgx‐scholarship and clicking Apply! Completed applications must be submitted to the above‐mentioned address and postmarked no later than 28 February 2024 and emailed prior to 5pm EST on 28 February 2024. No extensions or exemptions to this deadline will be made. Upon receipt, the eligibility of each applicant will be reviewed and validated. Incomplete packages and those pertaining to individuals determined to be ineligible will neither be processed nor returned.
4. In addition to the completed application, the following documents must be submitted:
A. The official unweighted signed academic transcript, or a copy of such, which must include the first semester of the senior year. The transcript should reflect the applicant’s exact or approximate class ranking and their GPA on a 4.0 scale. GPA’s that include honors ratings above 4.0 cannot be used. This can be sent from the High School directly or by the student.
B. Home schooled applicants should submit the current year‐end standardized test results such as IOWA Basic Skills Test, Stanford Achievement Test, or other such tests if available. C. S.A.T. or A.C.T. scores. The applicant may submit a photocopy of these scores. An applicant can still be considered if they do not take the exam, however, they will not receive applicable points without it.
D. A short, single‐spaced essay, not to exceed one typewritten page, explaining what the applicant hopes to achieve in their college career, including educational, professional, and personal goals.
E. Two letters of recommendation from teachers, school administrators, and/or community leaders.
F. It is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure that all documents are submitted by their high school, testing agencies, and/or any other organizations by the deadline. Applicants will not be notified if their application is not complete.
5. The Scholarship winners will be notified no later than 15 June 2024 by mail or email. Checks will be made payable to the colleges and sent to the financial department of the college to be credited towards the student’s account.
6. The point of contact for the CGX scholarship is Dina Asmail, phone (757) 842‐4798 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Released: RDML Russell E. Dash, Commander, Personnel Service Center.
8. Internet release authorized.