Dec 15, 2022
Training Center Yorktown is sponsoring the 43rd Annual MLK Basketball Tournament to be held at Coast Guard Training Center Yorktown from 17-20 January 2023.
SUBJ: 2023 TRACEN YORKTOWN MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. (MLK) INVITATIONAL BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT
A. Military Assignments and Authorized Absences, COMDTINST M1000.8A, Articles 1.G.2.D and 2.A.10.B
1. In remembrance of the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Training Center Yorktown is sponsoring the 43rd Annual MLK Basketball Tournament to be held at Coast Guard Training Center Yorktown from 17-20 January 2023.
2. The objectives of this tournament are to exhibit sportsmanship and team play, develop a respectfully competitive spirit, and showcase our Service members' athletic talent.
3. This is a double elimination tournament under NCAA rules with modification to length of games. The tournament is limited to the first sixteen teams with paid entry fees. All players must be Coast Guard affiliated (active duty, reserve, auxiliary, retired, or civilian). Teams are limited to ten players and one coach. (Only three players not assigned to a unit can participate on a unit's team and must be indicated on the roster. Only two civilians or auxiliarists are allowed per team.)
4. Players, coaches and guests are expected to attend the 43rd Anniversary Opening Ceremony prior to the first game on Tuesday, 17 January 2023. Additionally, a reception for players and coaches will be held on Wednesday, 18 January 2023. There will be a 3-point shootout during the tournament. Any player is eligible to enter the 3-point shootout.
5. The entry fee is 450 dollars per team. Entry fee payments should be made payable to TRACEN Yorktown MWR. Credit cards will also be accepted. Entry payments are due no later than 6 January 2023.
6. Limited berthing may be available at TRACEN Yorktown on a first come, first served basis. If requested, MWR will make reservations when entry fee and team roster are received. Additional at-cost lodging options include:
a. TRACEN Yorktown (E7 and above): Cain Hall - 757-856-2378
b. JBLE - Fort Eustis (12 miles from base) General Smalls Inn: 757-969-5775
c. Cheatham Annex (15 miles from base): Navy Gateway Inns and Suites: 757-847-9511
d. JBLE - Langley (17 miles from base): Langley Inn: 757-764-4667
e. Local hotels are also available in the area.
7. Interested teams should contact tournament director, Mr. Justin Clements at 757-856-2132 or Justin.P.Clements@uscg.mil.
8. In accordance with Ref A, administrative absence may be authorized for military members subject to Commanding Officer approval.
9. RDML D. C. Barata, Commander, Personnel Service Center, sends.
10. Internet release authorized.